- Vineyard Region Margaret River, WA
- Vintage Conditions The 2007 vintage in Margaret River was earlier than average due to the consistently warm temperatures during spring. The ripening period during January cooled considerably, enabling ideal conditions for flavour and tannin development to balance with the fruit ripeness.
- Grape Varietal Merlot
- Vinification and Maturation The intensely flavoured fruit was harvested from two vineyards in the warmer northern region of the Margaret River. The fruit was picked at night and cold soaked for three days to maximize colour intensity and produce bright, fresh fruit flavours. Early pressing and aeration throughout fermentation resulted in strong colour and fine tannin structure. The parcels were then transferred to French oak barrels and racked every three months prior to blending, filtering and bottling.
- Winemaker Matthew Byrne's Notes
- Colour Intense deep red in colour with a youthful purple hue.
- Aroma Concentrated and rich aromas of ripe, plump berry fruit, blackcurrant, olive, spice and cedar complexity.
- Palate The fuller bodied palate displays lovely bright berry fruits, with blood plum and savoury flavours. The fine tannins are beautifully balanced, with the structure and seamless nature a highlight of the wine which finishes with elegant, subtle cedar and spice.
- Last Tasted 01 JUL 2008
- Peak Drinking Drinking beautifully while youthful and fresh however will support careful cellaring until 2011.
- Roasted pumpkin, chorizo and fennel penne
|Year||Show name||Award name||Entry class|
|2008||Royal Queensland Wine Show||Gold||19|
|2008||Royal Queensland Wine Show||Trophy||19|
|2008||Riverina Wine Show & International Sweet White Challenge||Gold||26|
|2008||Riverina Wine Show & International Sweet White Challenge||Trophy||BEST DRY RED OTHER VARIETIES|
|2008||Margaret River Wine Show||Trophy||9|
|2008||Margaret River Wine Show||Gold||9|
|2008||Perth Royal Wine Show||Gold||18|
|2008||Rutherglen Wine Show||Gold||212|
|2000||Perth Royal Wine Show||Trophy||18|