- Vineyard Region Margaret River, WA
- Vintage Conditions The lead up to the 2008 vintage was ideal with warm, dry conditions over Christmas and New Year. Harvest was earlier than previous years due to this warmer weather. However, the Margaret River's renowned cool summer nights and sea breezes ensured that the fruit ripened beautifully with merlot showing fantastic colour intensity, tannin ripeness and varietal definition.
- Grape Varietal Merlot
- Vinification and Maturation The intensely flavoured fruit was harvested from select vineyards in the Wilyabrup, Carbunup and Yallingup areas within the Margaret River winegrowing region. The oldest vines are 22 years of age and are managed to produce even shoot growth and bunch numbers on each vine within a block. The fruit was picked at night and cold soaked for three days to maximize colour intensity and produce bright, fresh fruit flavours. Early pressing and aeration throughout fermentation resulted in strong colour and soft, fleshy texture. The parcels were then transferred to French oak barrels and racked every three months prior to blending, filtering and bottling.
- Winemaker Matthew Byrne's Notes
- Colour Deep purple and red.
- Aroma Ripe blood plum, cherry and mulberry fruits with subtle, integrated aromas of toast, mocha and cedar from maturation in French oak barriques.
- Palate Richly flavoured with a lovely fleshy texture and fine dusty tannins. Mulberry, ripe plum and cedar flavours fill the palate and provide great length of flavour.
- Last Tasted 01 JAN 2010
- Peak Drinking Drinking beautifully while youthful and fresh however will support careful cellaring until 2015.
- Barramundi, garlic mash and 'Beurre Rouge' sauce;
- Chilli cuttlefish and noddles
|Year||Show name||Award name||Entry class|
|2011||Sydney Royal Wine Show||Gold||28|
|2011||Sydney Royal Wine Show||Trophy||SO19|
|2010||Tri Nations Competition||Gold||7|