- Vineyard Region Margaret River, WA
- Vintage Conditions The 2009 vintage in Margaret River produced exceptional ripening conditions which have resulted in richly flavoured wines with fantastic varietal intensity. Following the cool finish to 2008, the ripening months of January, February and March saw a series of prolonged periods of warm weather punctuated with short, cool, dry spells. This allowed for slow ripening which retained natural grape acids and produced great flavour concentration in all varieties.
- Grape Varietal Sauvignon Blanc
- Vinification and Maturation The fruit was harvested from consistently high quality vineyards in the southern area of the region during the cool of the night to retain freshness. A select portion of the fruit that had particularly flavoursome skins was then cold soaked in the press for eight hours in order to extract the intense flavours. At pressing, only the highest quality first juice fraction for each vineyard parcel was isolated for fermentation. Following pressing, the juice was cold settled in tank before being racked and warmed to ferment. A small percentage of lees were included in the fermentations to impart texture into the final blend. During fermentation, cool temperatures were used to encourage aroma production and overall varietal character and texture in the end wine. On completion of fermentation, each batch remained on light, fresh lees for up to three months to help build complexity and character prior to blending and bottling.
- Winemaker Matthew Byrne's Notes
- Colour Very pale in colour - classic, young, fresh Sauvignon Blanc.
- Aroma An intriguing array of grassy and lime zest aromas supported by riper, tropical fruit notes.
- Palate A dry Sauvignon Blanc style that is intensely flavoured with a succulent core of fleshy, sweet fruits - passionfruit, lime, snow pea and fresh grassy flavours dominate the palate.
- Last Tasted 01 JUL 2010
- Peak Drinking Drinking beautifully while youthful and fresh however will support careful cellaring until 2012.
- Battered fish pieces and lemon mayo
|Year||Show name||Award name||Entry class|
|2009||Royal Adelaide Wine Show||Gold||32|
|2009||Riverina Wine Show & International Sweet White Challenge||Gold||7|
|2009||Riverina Wine Show & International Sweet White Challenge||Trophy||7|
|2009||Margaret River Wine Show||Gold||2|
|2009||Rutherglen Wine Show||Gold||105|