- Vineyard Region Margaret River, WA
- Vintage Conditions The lead up to the 2008 vintage was ideal with warm, dry conditions over Christmas and New Year. Harvest was earlier than previous years due to this warmer weather. However, the Margaret River's renowned cool summer nights and sea breezes ensured that the fruit ripened beautifully with Shiraz showing fantastic colour intensity, tannin ripeness and varietal definition.
- Grape Varietal Shiraz
- Vinification and Maturation Fruit from our vineyards located in the central and northern part of the Margaret River wine region was selected to make our 2008 Margaret River Shiraz. These vineyard sites consistently produce ripe, full flavoured Shiraz wines with varietal intensity. During ripening, the fruit from each vineyard block was monitored for optimum flavour development. Select parcels of fruit were cold soaked and a controlled fermentation was conducted to further encourage aromatic retention and to maximise colour intensity. The balance of the Shiraz parcels were immediately fermented without cold soaking. These batches produced a different flavour and textural profile than the cold soaked batches thus contributing complexity to the final blend. Each ferment was pressed off skins to separate tanks to complete fermentation and then returned into the free-run to provide structure and body to the end wine. Once dry, each batch of wine was racked separately off lees to a combination of new and old American and French oak barriques for maturation before bottling.
- Winemaker Jim Brayne's Notes
- Colour Dense ruby red with a vibrant, cherry red rim.
- Aroma Ripe plum and mulberry aromas dominate the nose with layers of savoury spice and a delicate floral lift providing intriguing complexity
- Palate An intensely flavoured medium bodied wine with soft plum flavours and a fleshy texture that tightens and intensifies as it travels across the palate. Savoury flavours of cedar and toasted spices provide delicate support and complexity to the fresh, primary fruit flavours.
- Peak Drinking Drinking beautifully now or carefully cellar until 2015.
- Chorizo and lamb paella