- Vineyard Region Yarra Valley, VIC
- Vintage Conditions The 2006 vintage in the Yarra Valley was characterised by wet growing conditions followed by a dry and hot vintage, producing an earlier than usual harvest. The resultant fruit displayed beautiful, ripe fruit characters with excellent flavour concentration.
- Grape Varietal Chardonnay
- Vinification and Maturation Winemakers sourced four different parcels of fruit, all from varying sites throughout the Yarra Valley to create this wine. Each parcel remained separate until the final blending stage. All parcels were handled in a manner to reduce any contact with the skins and provided maximum fruit flavour and delicacy prior to them being fermented in no more than 50 per cent new French oak barrels. The wine remained in barrel on light yeast lees for 12 months prior to bottling. The inspiration behind Lillydale Chardonnay is to create a series of components that express the individual sites and then blend these at the correct ratio to make a complete wine. This wine is bottled under screw cap to maximise freshness and flavour retention.
- Winemaker Jim Brayne's Notes
- Colour Pale straw with light green hues.
- Aroma Fresh aromas of peach, fig and melon are complemented by secondary butterscotch notes and well integrated with fine French oak characters of pencil shavings and cedar.
- Palate Stone-fruit and citrus flavours dominate this superbly textured palate. Clean, fresh acid provides support and length for the elegant oak characters, while the mid palate core of fruit exhibits excellent flavour to the finish.
- Last Tasted 01 MAR 2007
- Peak Drinking A wine with good ageing potential, this Chardonnay is drinking well now or should evolve gracefully with up to five years careful cellaring.
- Chicken Tikka;
- Grilled Veal Cutlet & Mushroom Ragout
|Year||Show name||Award name||Entry class|
|2007||Royal Adelaide Wine Show||Gold||1|
|2007||Bathurst National Cool Climate Show||Gold||3025|
|2007||Bathurst National Cool Climate Show||Trophy||BEST CHARD|
|2007||Royal Queensland Wine Show||Gold||11|
|2007||Riverina Wine Show & International Sweet White Challenge||Gold|
|2007||Riverina Wine Show & International Sweet White Challenge||Trophy||BEST CHARDONNAY|
|2007||Perth Royal Wine Show||Gold||27|